• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is it okay for vegans to eat oysters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDeceased

Ex-Bluelighter
The brain, like the tail or wing, is a functional organ. However, it's obviously more complex. Tails help maintain balance and functional wings enable flight. Brains, on the other hand, vary enormously from species to species.

Oysters are, comparatively, very simple organisms. They are basically a filtration system for water. Water flows through them and they remove impurities from it. They have only a handful of basic functions. They can open and close their shells, filter water, and reproduce. That is all.

(Note: Venus Fly Traps can also open and close, filter air, and reproduce.)

Oysters don't have to think, so why would they? That is the way the animal kingdom works: function always results from necessity. The presence of a brain and a central nervous system is not evidence of sentience.

The assumption is that since humans can feel both physical and psychological pain, all animals must be able to do so. After all, the sensation is produced in the brain and all animals have brains. But the problem with that logic is that animal brains aren't capable of experiencing most of things that human brains are capable of.

Again due to necessity, our brains are equipped to deal with a huge variety of situations. Oyster brains, on the other hand, perform three basic functions.

They eat and shit automatically. Their food flows through them. They don't have to go and hunt or gather food. There is no conscious thought required. When they sense movement (danger) they close their shells. Some people think this qualifies as sentience.

We anthropomorphize everything. Animals, inanimate objects, you name it. (See: Mickey Mouse) We're used to giving things human traits. So, people believe that oysters fear predators and that the act of closing their shell is comparable to a person running from a murderer or, say, a rabbit running from a wolf.

But again, the logic is flawed. When facing a predator, a rabbit has an infinite number of choices. It has to make decisions to survive. Oysters, on the other hand, have a single choice. They don't have to think about it. They sense danger and they close. There is no necessity to make decisions. Unlike the rabbit, the oyster doesn't need to understand the threat. It just needs to react.

I think oysters and other filter feeder molluscs, although sharing the broad term ''animals'' with various sentient species, are actually more like plants. They do not suffer and therefore they do not fit into the basic purpose of veganism. That is, since veganism exists to limit the suffering of animals, it should only apply to animals capable of suffering.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
No, what are you, fucking retarded? ;)
Just messing with you. I still do believe it's wrong to eat them.

Why, though?

Do you believe they are capable of independent thought?

I don't see the problem with my logic.

Rather than just saying no, explain your reasoning.

Do you want to eat oysters? Eat oysters. Are you worried about eating oysters? Don't eat oysters. Oy....

And btw I hear they are a good source of tryptophan which could be a problem for you. I would eat the oysters.

eat what ever the fuck you want, when you want . vegtabalerian cockamamy!

I just ate twelve oysters. I'm not asking for permission. I'm not vegan.

The quality of the responses so far have been higher than expected.

They may not be capable of conscious thought, but I'm almost certain they'd at least be able to feel pain. Fuck, there have been studies showing plants have reactions on an EMG when they're hit or abused, and become more calm with other stimuli. I think I'll have to stick to eating 100% synthetic food from now on. :D

I don't think oysters can feel pain. They have an extremely limited central nervous system and no exterior body (due to the shell). But even if they could, and they weren't capable of thought, then what would be the problem?

Fuck, there have been studies showing plants have reactions on an EMG when they're hit or abused, and become more calm with other stimuli.

None of those studies indicate that plants have a consciousness. What they do show is if you do something to something you get a reaction. Causality.

If you yell "Fuck you!" at a plant four thousand times a day and it starts to wither, that doesn't mean the plant understands you.

Maybe when you stop to yell at it, you're casting a shadow on it and depriving it of sunshine. Or maybe your breath just stinks so bad that it is killing the plant.

Either way, it's not evidence that the plant is conscious.

Last edited:
^I think talking/yelling at any plant would be good, even if you're screaming obscenities at it, since we exhale CO2 which plants find very beneficial ;)

It depends why one is a vegan.
If, like me, your primary motivation is for health reasons, oysters should probably be avoided.
(Some vegans tell me that I am not a vegan because I eat honey. Whatever. Labels are inherently flawed to begin with. I am not concerned with fitting into a club.)

Um, oysters are really good for you... Why should they be avoided?

(Oysters are better for you than honey as far as I know.)

delta 9 said:
I think talking/yelling at any plant would be good, even if you're screaming obscenities at it, since we exhale CO2 which plants find very beneficial

:D

I'm going to go yell FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT at my Cannabis plants for 2 hours straight, I shit you not. I'll tell you how it goes.

Got bored after an hour. I'm absolutely sure this is a placebo, but I swear it's weeping a bit more than when I started... I wasn't blocking light, I wasn't taking away heat or cold, I didn't block any fans.

Last edited:
I don't think oysters can feel pain. They have an extremely limited central nervous system and no exterior body (due to the shell). But even if they could, and they weren't capable of thought, then what would be the problem?

Oysters are capable of responding to injury and disease and there for healing themselves. I don't understand why "feeling pain" is the only criteria for ethics of vegans.

Plants actually have a complex nervous system that rivals that of animals. I'll try and dig up the lecture I saw on it once...

Plants actually have a complex nervous system that rivals that of animals. I'll try and dig up the lecture I saw on it once...

Again, the presence of a similar organ doesn't imply similar function. Pain is processed by a nervous system and brain, not a nervous system alone and since plants have neither central or distributed intelligence, it's a fair enough assumption that they cannot ''feel''.

OP: So you're an expert on oysters now???

No I'm not an expert. I have read a handful of articles (from both sides of the fence) on the consciousness or lack thereof of various animal species because it interests me. Throughout my life, I've gone backwards and forwards between being a vegetarian and a meat eater. I like oysters/seafood and after thinking about it on some acid, I realized that it is unlikely that oysters actually have the capacity to feel pain or to suffer. I don't see why they would. So I'm going to become a non-sentientarianist, unless anyone can provide me with a compelling enough argument as to why oysters/other filter feeder molluscs/etc. fall into the category of sentient beings.

Oysters are capable of responding to injury and disease and there for healing themselves. I don't understand why "feeling pain" is the only criteria for ethics of vegans.

Feeling pleasure/pain is a massive indication of sentience. They are two of our most basic cognitive functions. But I wasn't only talking about pain. I don't think oysters are capable of thought. I explained my reasoning/logic for this and so far nobody has pointed out a flaw in the logic. Evolution is always a result of necessity, so why would it be necessary for oysters to be conscious? As they are an automated species like a plant or a micro-organism and they don't have to make any decisions?

What is the criteria for vegans?

This is an interesting take on plant's and their consciousness. Apologies for the copy paste but the video and his thoughts are so eloquently put that I had to pinch it...
There's a lot of research these days suggesting plants aren't so dumb or unconscious as presumed. This recent video crystalises all that in a pretty good summary:

http://www.ted.com/talks/stefano_mancus ... gence.html

I've always held the hunch that plants are no different that animals in how they maintain their existence, ie through movement, reactions, instincts etc.. but that they simply operate on a much slower clock. If you timelaps footage of plants you can see they have very complex behaviour, searching movements, reactivity to their environment, reactions to damage that look suspiciously like pain and reactions to the sun or water that look suspiciously like pleasure.

Because of these things I've always been pretty skeptical about the moral side of vegetarianism, that it's ok to eat plants because they don't have any feelings... I suspect that that is an anthropocentrist assumption based on our (relative to plants) more rapid experience of time. It doesn't look like plants are crying when you cut them down, but if you speed up the footage it sure doesn't look like they're having a good time.. And you could say that the writhing and wilting of a dying plant is just a reflex action and you can't really know if its in pain since you can't ask it how it feels, but you could say the same thing about a mammal or a person that doesn't speak english.

Sorry hippies, ghandi, etc, don't mean to get all up in your grill about this but.. I just think there might be a pretty sinister discrepency here somewhere.

There are obvious ecological, health and societal benefits of a largely vegetarian diet of course, and I applaud movements towards a global vegetarian diet, efforts by the UN etc.. but I don't think total vegetarianisnm is the right idea, and certainly not for moral reasons. I think rather than looking for something that is somehow morally alright to kill and eat, we've gotta accept that life feeds on life and that we're a part of that system.

I think farms need animals on them. Good permaculture farms have plenty of animals, and when they're ready to end their cycles on earth I think it's just as ok to eat them as it is to eat a potato. I think a healthy food system needs to mirror a healthy ecosystem, and if we get it right our foodsystem and the ecosystem will be one and the same.

No offense, but it is ludicrous to suggest that plants are conscious.

If you timelaps footage of plants you can see they have very complex behaviour, searching movements, reactivity to their environment, reactions to damage that look suspiciously like pain and reactions to the sun or water that look suspiciously like pleasure.

Everything causes a reaction. If you damage a plant, it has to react. It cannot not react. I'm not sure how they've established that 'it looks suspiciously like pain' but, frankly, the wording is a little suspicious. The article doesn't appear to be written by a scientist and there are no mentions of any serious studies done. Looking at time lapse footage of plants/fungi growing and making wild conclusions about the inner workings of the subjects psyche is not good science IMO.

The article you posted is a little silly. Again, no offense.

It doesn't look like plants are crying when you cut them down, but if you speed up the footage it sure doesn't look like they're having a good time.. And you could say that the writhing and wilting of a dying plant is just a reflex action and you can't really know if its in pain since you can't ask it how it feels, but you could say the same thing about a mammal or a person that doesn't speak english.

The scientific reasons that plants wither is well documented. It's not a reflex action, it is similar to the decomposition of flesh.

The logic is absurd. You can't know if it's in pain because you can't ask it? But it has been scientifically proven that (all) mammals can feel pain, yet is generally accepted (in the science world) that plants are not conscious.

On his website, he makes the huge leap of logic that since plants communicate with each other on some basic level that they must be conscious of that communication.

But humans and all species communicate constantly via chemistry. Communication is not proof of sentience/consciousness. Nor is the presence of a central nervous system.

For someone who has spent his entire life trying to prove that plants are conscious, he doesn't really have any compelling arguments.

The time lapse thing means nothing. There is no proof there, just wild assumptions.

Vegans dont want to hurt animals or eat anything that comes out of them right? well oysters are animals arent they?

Status
Not open for further replies.